Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Potato towers

On the internet lots of talk about making towers out of discarded wooden pallets
http://shar.es/M55Nl
that means taking apart and using my nail hammer skills that don't exist so I figure something creative that I can handle.  3 long pillow cases at Salvation Army $2.20 for the three towers I have with potato plants

Cut them open on long sides 

sew, I did by hand with yarn, I crochet so I have lots of yarn.  The side to close is the original opening side    

Slide into the four stakes.  I had used duct tape at the base but this is not necessary.  It was just a cheap roll I bought.  



If too loose you can readjust stake or sew a pinch for tightness 

fill with dirt mix I use regular dirt and old horse manure mix I gather from horse owner friend and a new home construction site down the street

Cover until leaves top show.  The plant continues to grow and more dirt is needed to continue covering until plant flowers and dries out late September

When covering Potato main stem forces plant to make root and grow taller repeat procedure 
 More info here...

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/potato2.html
 I get the soil for free so it's worth it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment